Happy Christmas Eve Eve I hope that you have all made it to the end of the working year safely. I for one, was most happy when the clock struck 1pm (yay for half work days), and it was time to head home and finish packing for our trip to Melbourne. Which included packing up the final treat in my homemade holiday treats series… On the menu today… Apricot and coconut biscuits (cookies)! aka. a break from chocolate overload that was occasioned by yesterday’s chocolate bark. Oats, spelt, brown sugar coconut, apricots and nuts. Mixed with eggs, vanilla and butter to form a sticky biscuit mix. Rolled into balls, flattened… And baked for 15 minutes until golden. These biscuits turned out nice and light, but also rather chewy… Quite reminding me of ANZAC biscuits actually. And, once they had cooled sufficiently, I wasted no time in filling a Christmas tin and leaving half of the batch on my neighbour’s front door step by way of a little Christmas gift. The rest, however, will be coming with us as we make our way down South for the Christmas holiday. Delish! Apricot & Coconut Biscuits (makes 16-18 large biscuits) (adapted from here)
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1cup desiccated coconut
- 3/4 cup diced dried apricots
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 180°C, and line 2 large baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
- Sift the flour and sugar into a large bowl. Add the oats, coconut, apricot and almonds and stir until well combined. Make a well in the centre.
- Whisk together the melted butter, eggs and vanilla in a small bowl. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until well combined.
- Use your hands to roll heaped tablespoonfuls of the mixture into balls. Place balls onto the prepared trays (leaving room to spread) and flatten slightly.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack and set aside to cool completely
I hope that you have enjoyed this 5 days of Homemade Holiday treats. You can find links to all the treats below… Day 1 – Gingerbread doughnuts Day 2 – Salted caramel fudge Day 3 – Chilli lime nut mix Day 4 – Chocolate bark Day 5 – Apricot and coconut biscuits But enough ‘sweet talk, its time to get this BBB show on the road! Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas Eve Eve, safe travels if you are travelling and happy eating if you are eating! What about you? What are your plans for the festive season?