This recent meal got me wondering…
“What is the difference between a frittata and a crust-less quiche?”
I guess it has something to do with the fact that a frittata is generally started off in a frypan then finished in the oven, while this ‘quiche’ was simply poured into a baking dish and cooked in the oven? Yes that might just be it….
But in any event, we had ourselves a winner of a weeknight meal when we turned to a favourite ingredient.
The humble egg!
Humble, yes, but so very versatile. Be it scrambled or poached for a quick breakfast, an omelette for a speedy lunch or perhaps a couple boiled eggs thrown atop a salad… yes our house is rarely without a carton of eggs.
On this occasion I roasted a selection of vegetables – zucchini, capsicum and sweet potato.
Placed in a greased baking dish, and covered with some eggs, milk, fresh herbs and goats cheese. Baked for 40 minutes or so, or until set in the middle.
We kept things simple, and served slices of the ‘quiche’ with a green salad and some sourdough – finished with a good dollop of chilli jam. It made for a delicious dinner, and also an easy lunch to take to work the next day.
Roasted vegetable crustless quiche (serves 4 to 6)
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 large zucchini, sliced
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 1 yellow capsicum, diced
- 8 eggs
- 2 tbs milk
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs (parsley, thyme, oregano, basil…)
- 100g goats cheese, crumbled
- chilli jam, salad leaves and sourdough to serve
- Preheat oven to 180C and line a large baking tray with baking paper. Place vegetables onto tray, and drizzle with olive oil. Roast for 30 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- Lightly grease a baking dish, and spread the roasted vegetables in the bottom.
- Meanwhile, whisk eggs and milk together. Stir through the fresh herbs.
- Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables, and scatter the goats cheese over the top.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until set in the middle and golden. Allow to cool slightly, then cut into slices to serve.
- Top with a dollop of chilli jam, and serve alongside the salad and sourdough.