Fried rice is one of those dishes that I love, but just don’t order all that often. Instead, I tend to opt for white rice when we are out at an Asian restaurant (or, even better, brown rice if it is available).
Recently, though, we rediscovered the magic that is a good fried rice, particularly when we worked out just how much the kids love it. However I remain mindful of the fact that it can be a little calorific and not something we should order all the time.
That was, until I came across a cauliflower version I could make at home.
Yes – instead of white rice – the base is cauliflower – processed until it resembles grains and stir-fried with a number of yummy additions. On this occasion it was eggs, sausages (we used a flavoured pork variety), coriander and variety of vegetables – corn, shallots, capsicum and onions. Brought together with a little oil, ginger, garlic and soy sauce.
And after a quick flash fry in the wok – we had ourselves quite the tasty fried rice. Served with a small bowl of chilli sauce for the adults, yet keeping the main dish chilli-free for the kids.
The kids even went back for seconds, so I’m definitely keeping this dish in rotation. It makes for a great meal by itself, and would definitely work as side dish too!
Cauliflower and Sausage Fried Rice (serves 4) – Adapted from Taste magazine
- 1 large cauliflower, broken into florets and processed until it resembles rice
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 4 sausages (we used pork), cooked and then sliced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 2 corn cobs, kernels removed
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 1tsp grated ginger
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 3 green shallots, sliced
- Handful chopped coriander
- Chilli sauce to serve
- Heat oil in a wok. Pour in the whisked egg, and swirl until it covers the base. Cook for a few minutes, then remove once cooked through and slice.
- Heat a little more oil in the wok and add the vegetables, garlic, ginger and soy. Stir-fry for 4 or so minutes, until the vegetables are starting to soften.
- Add the cooked sausages and cauliflower, and cook for a few minutes or until the cauliflower is tender and the sausage slices are heated through.
- Add the sliced egg, soy sauce and coriander, and stir. Cook until everything is well combined and heated through.
- Spoon into bowls, and serve with chilli sauce (if using).