This past weekend was rather fun indeed. Well Little J’s sleep regression / teething / generally crankiness was not so fun, but the Halloween costume party we went to on Saturday certainly was! We decided on a family ‘pirate’ theme for our costume, and had quite a few laughs along the way. Cranky parrot and all! And well a party invitation was the perfect excuse to get creative in the kitchen. I’ve really missed baking lately, so wasted no time in heating up the oven and dragging out the mixer. On the menu? Eyeball cupcakes!! Visually impressive – but actually quite easy to prepare. Simply – chocolate cupcakes, topped with cocoa buttercream and drizzled with (store-bought) salted caramel. Finished with some eye-ball chocolates that I found at the shops. Pretty much a sugar-coma on a plate! Chocolate ‘eyeball’ cupcakes
- 1 cup plain flour, sifted
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 80 g butter, melted
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 250g butter, softened
- 3 cups icing sugar mixture (+ extra if needed)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbs cocoa powder
- salted caramel sauce to drizzle
- chocolate eyeballs for decorating
- Preheat oven to 170°C . Line 12-hole cupcake tin with paper cases.
- Cream butter, sugar and vanilla. Gradually add eggs and mix until just combined.
- Combine flour, cocoa and bicarbonate soda. Add to creamed mixture with milk. Beat until just combined.
- Spoon mixture into liners until each case is half full. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Cool in pan for 5 minutes, then move to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the chocolate butter cream: Beat butter until light and fluffy. Add icing sugar and cocoa and combine well. Beat in milk until mixture is fluffy (add extra icing sugar if needed, to get to a good piping consistency).
- Pipe into swirls onto cooled cupcakes, drizzle with caramel sauce and top with eyeball chocolates.
What about you? Did you ‘celebrate’ Halloween this year?