An iconic Aussie treat, that I have just never been into.
Perhaps it stems from my lack of interest in gravy, or perhaps the lack of good meat (generally) in the pie itself
Instead, you’ll find me ordering a sausage roll when we stop at the Bakery for lunch. Or, even better, a vegetable-packed pasty.
Recently, with a view to not letting my freezer hoard of puff pastry get out of hand again, I decided to make some pasties at home. My version ended up quite different to the usual variety though (and I suspect far more indulgent). For the flaky pastry was filled with creamy potato, mustard and camembert cheese.
I made large versions on this occasion, but think they would also work well as smaller ‘finger food’ for a party or special event.
You can keep your meat pies. I’ll take these pasties any day!
|Prep Time||20 minutes|
|Cook Time||50 minutes|
- 300 g potatoes peeled and small diced
- 300 ml light cream
- 1 tbs seeded mustard
- 1/2 tbs dijon mustard
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 125 g camembert cheese finely diced
- 2 spring onions diced
- 4 sheets frozen puff pastry partially thawed
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Place potatoes, cream, mustards and garlic in a small saucepan. Simmer over a medium heat for 20 or 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft. Season and set aside to cool slightly. Stir through the camembert and spring onions.
- Pre-heat oven to 180C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Cut a 20cm circle from each of the pastry sheets, and top half of each of the circles with a 1/4 of the potato mixture, leaving a border.
- Brush egg around the edge of the pastry circles and carefully fold in half to enclose the filling. Crimp the edges with a fork to seal.
- Brush the tops of the pasties with a little egg, and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
2 thoughts on “Potato and Camembert Pasties”
OMG they look amazing Lisa.
these sound heavenly – I am with you on pasties – we make cheese, potato and onion pasties occasionally but these are so much more sophisticated