If I was to pick a summer alcoholic drink, besides Pimms or champagne, it would almost certainly be a Gin & Tonic. For it partners beautifully with the warmer weather, offering a refreshing addition to a summer afternoon BBQ or evening catch up with friends.
I’ve noticed that gin itself seems to be making a bit of a comeback too, with lots of smaller local distilleries entering the market and offering unique blends. Take Four Pillars, for instance, who easily tempted me to order an early Christmas present when I came across their Australian Christmas Gin. I think it was their claim that it “smells like gin, tastes like Christmas” that had me intrigued.
So with a beautiful bottle in hand, the next question was what to make? Christmas Eve seemed to be the perfect time to create a cocktail – something refreshing yet flavoursome.
And so this Iced Tea G & T came to be!
Brewed iced tea and lime cordial were infused with the gin overnight. Then finished with ice, lime wedges and tonic water when it was time to serve.
Oh my. I love a regular G & T but this was taken to the next level! Full of flavour – rich and spicy – and definitely a cocktail I will be adding to my regular list.
- 2 cups chilled iced tea (I used ol' English breakfast tea)
- 1 cup lime cordial
- 270 ml Australian Christmas gin
- ice, tonic water & lime wedges to serve
- Combine the chilled iced tea, lime cordial and gin in a bottle, and refrigerate overnight.
- Place ice in 6 tumblers. Squeeze a couple lime wedges into each.
- Divide the chilled tea / gin mixture among the glasses., and top with tonic water.