For our recent Mexican lunch, we served mango margaritas and pulled pork that had cooked in the slow cooker for over 8 hours. These were dished up with a variety of sides – corn tortillas, guacamole, chorizo rice, grated cheese, tomatoes, sour cream and, for a little crunch, coleslaw.
But not just any coleslaw, a lime and coriander coleslaw. Where there was no cheap mayonnaise in sight – rather the salad was packed with fresh coriander and dressed with a combination of lime juice, olive oil, garlic and honey. Resulting a coleslaw that was much lighter than its mayonnaise-laden counterpart, and with lovely fresh flavours that worked beautifully with the spicy pulled pork tortillas.
Definitely a ‘make again’ dish for our next Mexican feast!
people as a side dish
- 2 cups green cabbage shredded
- 2 cups purple cabbage shredded
- 4 carrots grated
- 4 spring onions finely sliced
- 1 bunch coriander leaves
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 lime zested and juiced
- 1 tbs honey
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- Place all the salad ingredients in a bowl, and toss to combine.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the olive oil, lime zest and juice, honey and garlic. Season.
- Pour over the salad and toss until well combined.