Now that I have a little more time on my hands, I’m keen to get back into the kitchen. To develop new recipes, and generally get creative!
In particular, I want to create some lunchbox treats. Lately I’ve been relying on pre-packaged snacks all too often for the kids, and their ingredient list is far from desirable.
So with the rain falling heavily outside the other day, I got to work on my first lunchbox treat.
A healthier honey bubble bar.
As soon as I began pulling bowls out of the drawer, Little J arrived curiously at the kitchen bench. Actually, she is quite the shadow when I am in the kitchen, always eager to help out. And this being a no-bake treat, well that was just perfect for little hands!
I measured out the ingredients, and she poured them all into a big bowl and gave them a good stir. “Pat-pat-patting” the slice into the baking tin was also a big hit.
In the mix? Puffed rice, shredded coconut, chia seeds, sunflower kernels, butter and honey. Oh some chocolate chips for a little indulgence too.
Pressed into a lined tray, and allowed to firm up overnight in the fridge.
The following day, it was simply a matter of slicing the mixture into bars.
The bars were sweet, without being over-sweet, although I made the rookie mistake of adding the chocolate chips before the melted butter and honey (ie. the chocolate melted).
The honey also made the bases a little sticky, so I wrapped each bar in some baking paper for ease of transport.
And just like that, my baking mojo has officially returned! Not to mention being able to share some time in the kitchen with Little J.
Stay tuned for more lunchbox treats in the weeks to come!
Healthier Honey Bubble Bars
- 4 cups puffed rice
- 2 tbs chia seeds
- 3 tbs sunflower seeds
- 1.5 cups shredded coconut
- 125g butter
- 220g honey
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Grease and line a slice tray with baking paper.
- Combine the puffed rice, chia seeds, sunflower seeds and coconut in a large bowl.
- Heat the butter and honey in the microwave until melted and combined. Pour over the dry ingredients and stir to coat the mixture well. Add the chocolate chips and stir.
- Press firmly into the lined tray, and place in the fridge overnight to firm.
- Remove from the fridge, and cut into slices. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.