As the warmer weather approaches, so does our tendency to put “BBQs” on the menu for dinner. Mr BBB is usually in charge of the meat, while I take care of the sides – the ‘regulars’ being a green salad or oven baked potatoes.
But recently I went for another potato option…potato salad!
An Aussie favourite – that is usually loaded with mayonnaise and bacon. But on this occasion, I created a ‘lighter’ version. Still packed with flavour, yes, however in place of mayonnaise I went with natural yoghurt – and left out the bacon all together. Instead, the salad was given a flavour kick with lots of fresh herbs and another one of my favourite – dill pickles!
It didn’t take too long to prepare, and was far from difficult. With the added bonus that I could make it in the morning and let the flavours develop throughout the day.
A nice take on an old classic indeed!
Herbed Yoghurt Potato Salad
- 1.5kg potatoes (desiree or something similar) I left the skins on, but you could peel them if you prefer.
- 3/4 cup natural yoghurt
- 2 tbs whole egg mayonnaise
- 1 tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 tbs Dijon mustard
- 100g dill pickles, chopped
- 3 green shallots, sliced thinly
- Handful chopped herbs (I used dill and mint, but parsley would work nicely too)
- Boil the potatoes until tender, then set aside to cool slightly. Dice.
- Combine the yoghurt, mayonnaise, vinegar and mustard, and season to taste.
- Add the dressing to the potatoes (while they are still slightly warm), along with the remaining ingredients. Stir gently until combined.
- Cover and place in the fridge until required.