Yesterday there were hopeful signs of Spring in the air. I left my heavier jacket at home, and embraced the shining sun and blue skies when I went to collect Miss C from school.
Today? Well sadly I can’t say the same thing. The temperature has dropped, my heavy jacket was definitely required for the school drop off, and I can hear the rain falling steadily as I sit here typing.
But chilly days make for great ‘catch up on work’ days, so I’m doing just that. Starting with a long overdue post – on a recipe that has become quite a favourite in our household nonetheless!
Warm Honeyed Sweet Potato Salad.
A.k.a. a great compromise when you want salad for dinner, but the weather calls for something warm too.
I really love how quickly this salad comes together. It would be a lovely little side dish, although it easily extends to a main course.
Simply – sweet potatoes – sliced and drizzled with spices and honey – then roasted. Piled atop a bed bed of lettuce and purple cabbage, and sprinkled with parsley, almonds and persian feta. Completed with a warm honey vinegar dressing.
But now…where did I put my slippers??
Warm Honeyed Sweet Potato Salad (serves 2)
- 1 large sweet potato, scrubbed and sliced
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbs honey
- 2 cups mesculin lettuce
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 2 tbs flaked almonds
- 2 tbs persian feta
- 2 tbs chopped parsley
- 1tbs white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- Preheat oven to 200C, and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place sweet potato on tray, and spray with olive oil spray. Sprinkle with cumin and cinnamon, and drizzle with 1tbs honey. Roast for 30-40 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, combine 1 tbs honey, vinegar and juice in a small dish, and microwave until warmed through.
- Place salad leaves and cabbage into two large serving bowls. Top with the cooked sweet potato, almonds, feta and parsley. Drizzle with warmed dressing.