I do feel a little sorry for tofu.
For all too often it is thrown into the “boring basket”.
The “bland bucket”.
Or simply overlooked by those seeking a flavoursome and hearty meal.
But it really doesn’t have to be that way. No, I think this versatile ingredient – whilst a tad ‘neutral’ on the flavour side when served plain, can be rather wonderful when combined with other ingredients. And it is certainly a wonderful base when looking to create a vegetarian meal.
In this instance a simple block of tofu was turned into a batch of tasty burgers, when combined with beans, herbs, garlic and hot sauce.
My food processor did all the hard work to mix the ingredients, and all I had to do was shape them into patties and pan-fry (although I suspect you could save some washing up and quite easily bake them too!)
The tofu added a great texture, and soaked up the garlic / spicy flavours just beautifully. Not to mention keeping a crunch on the outside too.
On this particular occasion I served the patties with a little cucumber salad on the side. However I think they would also work well as burgers on the BBQ, or perhaps served atop a big garden salad with a dollop of natural yoghurt.
The choice is yours really.
Just perhaps don’t forget that you added a fair bit of chilli sauce if you freeze some for later and then try to feed them to your kids*
Spicy tofu bean burgers (makes 8)
- 400 g can cannellini beans drained, rinsed
- 200 g firm tofu drained
- 2 slices wholegrain bread, chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 2 tbs hot sauce (or more or less to taste)
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 2 tbsp self-raising flour
- Process all ingredients in a food processor until well combined and smooth.
- Either shape into 8 patties, or divide into 8 portions and use egg-rings to shape the mixture in the frypan.
- Cook the patties in two batches in a little olive oil in a frypan over a medium heat Allow 2 to 3 each side, or cook until golden brown. Drain on paper towel before serving.
What about you? Are you a fan of tofu?
*This may, or may not have happened. Sorry Charlotte. #Parentingfail