The lovely people at the Australian Asparagus Council surprised me with multiple bunches of asparagus recently. And, given that asparagus is one of my favourite Spring ingredients, I wasted no time in putting it to good use. First up – was this delightful soup. Made one particularly chilly day – when time was short and comfort food was craved. And, as is the case with most homemade soups, it was so easy and speedy to prepare. And despite being a comforting meal, this was also a healthy one. With lots of green! I loved the little roasted spears on top, and the drizzle of natural yoghurt. And a good amount of black pepper. Never forget the pepper! Asparagus and Spinach soup (serves 2-3)
- 1tbs olive oil
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed into 3cm pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 L vegetable stock
- 60g spinach leaves
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- pepper, to taste
- natural yoghurt to serve
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan. Add the asparagus, onion and garlic and sauté until the onion starts to soften. Remove a few of the asparagus tips for serving later.
- Add the potato and stock, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the potato is tender.
- Add the spinach leaves and allow to wilt, before blending the entire mixture until smooth.
- Add lemon juice and pepper to taste.
- Divide among serving bowls and top with natural yoghurt and the asparagus spears to serve.
Oh and be sure to check out asparagus.com.au for more recipe ideas. What about you? Are you a fan of asparagus?