I’m a little late to the “Christmas Cheer” this year. It’s not that I don’t want to get into the spirit – its just that the festive season kind of snuck up on me. Our work schedules have been hectic over the past few months, and then there is the whole 30+ weeks pregnant thing…. But no festive season can slip by without multiple batches of my favourite rocky road being made. Simple to put together, perfect for edible gifts and more often than not – well received. I’ve posted about it before, I have no doubt, but let’s re-visit the sweet sugary goodness, shall we? This last weekend, I stepped away from the computer and other life ‘obligations’ and spent a little time in the kitchen. I had my trusty “helper” by my side who, true to form, very effectively taste-tested the marshmallows and other ingredients along the way.
The ‘base’ for the rocky road is milk and white chocolate. Not the fancy stuff, or baking chocolate, but good ol’ Cadbury dairy milk. As for the fillings – well this is where you can change things up according to your preference. This time I used white and pink marshmallows, raspberry lollies and chopped Turkish Delight bars. I love adding nuts too – but kept it allergy friendly on this occasion.
The milk chocolate is melted, then mixed with the fillings, and pressed into a lined dish. Finished with a generous drizzle of melted white chocolate, and swirled for effect.
Covered, and placed in the fridge overnight to set. Then it’s ready to slice!
We filled these cute little bags with pieces of the rocky road (in baking paper) – and gifts for my work team were done!
And, perhaps in more exciting news, I am now officially on Christmas leave (well from my main job at least)! Time to start thinking about our Christmas lunch menu…
Rocky Road The following quantities are a guide only. You really can use as little or as many ingredients as you would like – depending on the taste / texture that you are after.
- 400g milk chocolate (I use Cadbury)
- 200g white chocolate
- 200g marshmallows, chopped in half or leave them whole
- 180g raspberry lollies
- 4 x Turkish delight bars, chopped
- Handful of chopped nuts (peanuts, macadamias etc) (or leave these out if you are looking for a nut-free version)
- Line a slice tray with baking paper, allowing the sides to overhang.
- Place the chopped marshmallows, raspberry lollies, Turkish delight and nuts into a large bowl and set aside.
- Melt the milk chocolate, then pour over the chopped ingredients. Stir to coat well, and press into the lined tray.
- Melt the white chocolate, and drizzle it over the top. Use a spoon to swirl it into the milk chocolate.
- Cover and refrigerate until set, then slice and serve.
What about you? Are you making any edible gifts this year?