Thus hubs has been struck down with ‘man flu’. Or so it seems. So in order to get him back on his feet as soon as possible – or at least attempt to – I’ve been focusing on veggie-rich meals. Lots of vitamins, and nutrients, and lots of garlic. One such meal – was this vegetable quinoa soup. Comprised literally with whatever vegetable I could find in the fridge, and pulled together with some herbs, stock and a secret ingredient….quinoa! A one pot meal – that successfully warmed us from the inside out. Full to the brim with tasty vegetables, bulked up with quinoa for some added protein. Served with a sprinkle of chopped parsley, but I think other fresh herbs would work just as nicely too. Vegetable quinoa soup (serves 3-4)
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 leek, sliced thinly
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 1/4 cauliflower – broken into small florets
- 1/4 pumpkin, peeled and cubed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 L vegetable or chicken stock
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- Water as required
- Fresh parsley, chopped, to serve
- Heat oil in a large pot over a medium heat. Add the leek, garlic and spices – and heat, stirring, until the leek starts to soften.
- Add the vegetables, and stir well to coat with the leek/spice mix.
- Add the stock, and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat, cover, and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add the quinoa, and cover. Cook for a further 15 minutes or until the quinoa is soft. Add more water if the soup is too thick.
- Ladle into serving bowls and top with a sprinkle of parsley.
What about you? Tried any new soup combinations lately?
3 thoughts on “Vegetable quinoa soup”
this is my favourite sort of soup – I made a quinoa soup last night which I loved but one of my most successful veggie stew (could be watered down into soup) was a dal I made with pumpkin, spinach and the magic ingredient was the dregs of jar of almond butter. Hope Mr BBB is on the mend soon.
Yum! Lovely and warming. I'm loading up on garlic too, had this cough for waaaay too long
Would never had thought to add quinoa to soup but what a great idea!