I do hope you’ll bear with me, as I transition through a very busy few months. Work “time” has taken a necessary precedence over “play” time – which has basically seen me flitting from meeting to meeting and spending too many hours with my head in the books. And, despite my best intentions, my favourite kitchen time has taken a back seat. For the moment, at least. But I am here, still cooking, still creating….when time permits. And I do hope there is a light at the end of the tunnel – that will see me back in the kitchen on a more regular basis. Back to cooking for pleasure, and not just ‘convenience’ – and back to embracing the calm that time in the kitchen inevitably provides. For when meals like this find their way to our table, I am happy. They are not difficult, or complex, but homemade and make my tummy sing. Honey mustard chicken salad. Chicken – enclosed in foil – and baked alongside a big tray of sweet potatoes. Piled high on a bed of lettuce and avocado, and drizzled with a homemade honey mustard dressing. Simple to prepare – yet packed with flavour. And a ‘warm’ option to keep our Winter cravings satisfied – along with a hint of heat from the hot mustard. Not to mention healthy! Honey mustard chicken salad (serves 2)
- olive oil
- 1-2 chicken breasts
- 1 sweet potato, scrubbed and sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- mixed lettuce leaves
- 1tbs seeded mustard
- 1 tsp hot English mustard
- 1tbs honey
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Place the sliced sweet potato on a lined baking tray.
- Meanwhile, lay the chicken breasts on a sheet of foil. Drizzle with a little oil and season. Enclose, and place into the oven after 10 minutes. Continue cooking the chicken / sweet potato fir a further 30 minutes – or until both cooked through.
- Meanwhile – combine the mustards, honey, vinegar and olive oil – and whisk until well combined.
- Place salad leaves and avocado in a bowl. Top with sliced chicken, sweet potato, and drizzle with the dressing to taste.
What about you? How do you relax when life gets crazy?