A little while ago, I was approached by Mitani to try its chicken salt and perhaps develop a recipe. And, having fond memories of piles of hot chips smothered in chicken salt from our local fish and chip shop (from my ”younger years”), well let’s just say I wasn’t going to turn down the offer. But figuring that I perhaps could do a little better when it came to using the salt, I decided to get creative in the kitchen. I’ve never been the greatest fan of crumbed / fried food, but I had some chicken in the fridge that needed to be used, and so this crispy chicken salad came to be. The added ‘health bonus’ being that there wasn’t a deep fryer in sight. Nope this crispy chicken is oven baked. I set up a ‘dipping’ station, with 4 bowls….(1) chicken (2) flour (3) egg and (4) the crumb – krummies, chicken salt and parmesan. Then got to dipping and coating, ending up with a tray full of beautifully crumbed chicken strips. Finished with a light spray of oil – then into a moderate oven to bake for 30 minutes (turning half way through). With the chicken baking, I decided to make a ‘honey mustard’ sauce.. Again, I opted for a ‘lighter’ version – using natural yoghurt in place of mayo and an array of other tasty ingredients. The result? A lovely tangy sauce with a hit of spice from the chilli. With the chicken baked, and the sauce made, the rest of the meal came together pretty easily. Salad leaves, cherry tomatoes and radishes, topped with the crispy chicken and drizzled in honey mustard sauce. The chicken salt flavour shone through wonderfully – turning what could have been rather plain chicken dish into quite the tasty meal. I think even I could be converted to the lure of crumbed chicken if it always tasted like this?! I was also surprised to see that the product is gluten free (!!!), lactose free, contains no MSG and is vegetarian – so I think it is a keeper in my books. I can’t wait to try it on hot chips though – for hot chips and chicken salt will always remind me of Fish and Chip Friday! Crispy chicken salad with honey mustard dressing (serves 4)
- 500g chicken breasts sliced into strips
- 3/4 cup flour
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1.5 cups breadcrumbs
- 1.5 tbs Mitani chicken salt
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- Salad – including greens, tomatoes, sprouts, radishes (or whatever you have on hand really!)
Dressing: 1/2 cup natural yoghurt, 1 tbs Dijon mustard, 1.5 tbs yellow mustard, 1 tbs white wine vinegar, 1.5 tbs honey, 1/2 tsp chilli sauce. Place in a separate bowl and stir until well combined.
- Preheat your oven to 190C, and line a tray with baking paper. Place a backing rack on top of the tray.
- Set up 4 bowls – one with the chicken, one with the eggs, one with the flour, and one with the breadcrumbs/chicken salt/parmesan mix.
- Coat each chicken strip with flour (shaking off any excess), then dip in the egg. Finish by coating the chicken with the breadcrumb mixture – then place on the backing rack. Repeat until all the chicken has been coated.
- Spray lightly with olive oil spray, then bake for 25-30 minutes or until cooked through (turning once).
- Serve the chicken atop pre-prepared salad, and drizzle with the honey mustard dressing.
What about you? Are you a fan of chicken salt? *This product was gifted to me by Mitani, however all views expressed are my own. For more information about the product, please visit www.mitani.com.au.